Video: NJ police tackle robber moments after crime
Police zoomed in from all angles and took the suspect down in the middle of the street
By Seth Augenstein
The New Jersey star-Ledger
EAST ORANGE, N.J. — A 26-year-old man who allegedly robbed a dollar store at gunpoint was tracked down and caught by detectives within minutes of the crime, police say.
Khaiuan Purnell, 26, walked into the Family Dollar Store on Springdale Avenue Monday morning at 10 a.m., police say. Purnell then pulled out a black handgun and demanded all the money in the register, said Sgt. Andrew DiElmo. The dollar-store clerk triggered the silent alarm, and told Purnell so, DiElmo said. Purnell then fled the store, authorities say.
In less than a minute, police had responded to the store and had a description of Purnell. The city’s widespread anti-crime cameras began canvassing the area for a person matching the description — and that person was spotted heading east on Park Avenue, DiElmo said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman