Video: 50 immigrants flee truck pursued by police
Deputies caught 31 of the immigrants, and estimate that at least another 15 got away
The Daily Mail
JIM WELLS COUNTY, Texas — The dashcam on a Texas police cruiser has captured the moment 50 illegal immigrants poured out of a box truck after they were smuggled across the border.
A sheriff's deputy in Jim Wells County, outside Corpus Christi, spotted the truck and pursued it in a brief chase on July 9. When the truck stopped on a rural highway, the back door opened and dozens of people flooded out. Deputies caught 31 of the immigrants. Another 15 to 20 escaped.
“That's a lot of people. And if you put the math to it, at $4,500 a person — which is the average going rate — multiply it times just 45 that's a lot of money,” Rodrigo Ramon, Jim Wells County sheriff's deputy told KIII-TV.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms