Cops: NY robber fell 21 floors down garbage chute
Robin Gutheridge robbed a bank and was fleeing police when a maintenance worker heard him calling for help in the chute
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Authorities say a 26-year-old man is in critical condition after falling 21 floors in the garbage chute of an apartment building in upstate New York after robbing a bank.
Police in Syracuse say Robin Gutheridge robbed a Chase Bank branch Thursday and fled on foot. Detectives learned he was seen entering an apartment building a few blocks away.
While officers searched the building, a maintenance worker told them he could hear someone calling for help from a garbage chute in the basement. Police say Gutheridge was found trapped near a compactor, with some of the bank's money with him.
Officers say they believe he had climbed into the chute on the 21st floor and fell to the basement.
A phone listing for Gutheridge couldn't be found. It couldn't immediately be determined if he had a lawyer.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help