Video: NC police pursuit of robber ends in fatal shooting
Officers pursued Garrett Nelson Brooks after he robbed a store and carjacked a person
By PoliceOne Staff
SMITHFIELD, N.C. — Dash-cam video was released Thursday of the July pursuit that began after a man robbed a convenience store, carjacked someone, and then got into a fatal shootout with police.
Deputies John Harris, 30, of the Wilson County Sheriff's Office, and Robert Raetz, 41, of the Johnston County Sheriff's Office, exchanged gunfire with Garrett Nelson Brooks, 28, after his vehicle spun out of control about 34 minutes into the video.
Brooks was fatally wounded in the shootout. The State Bureau of Investigation said Thursday that it has not concluded its work on the incident.
The officers were placed on administrative leave following the incident, but have both since returned to work, according to WRAL.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help