3 NM officers wounded, suspect dead after shootout
The wounded officers remained hospitalized Saturday night, the chief said he prays for a full recovery
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Two Albuquerque police officers and a Bernalillo County sheriff's deputy were wounded during a shootout and chase that stretched from the south side of the city to the North Valley.
Roads in various parts of the city remained cordoned off Saturday evening as authorities investigated the string of chaotic events that started before noon Saturday when a suspect shot at officers.
The chase ended at a gas station where the suspect was pronounced dead. Police did not immediately release the suspect's name or details about what may have sparked the violence.
The wounded officers remained hospitalized Saturday evening. Police Chief Allen Banks and Sheriff Dan Houston issued a statement saying they pray that all three will fully recover.
Banks and Houston were asking anyone who witnessed Saturday's events to call police.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen