Shoplifter fleeing police dies in SC wreck
A woman fled from a Walmart and hit another car head-on, a child was in the vehicle
AIKEN, S.C. — Authorities say a woman speeding away from a store in South Carolina after being accused of shoplifting on Christmas Eve was killed in a head-on crash.
Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton says 31-year-old Lucinda Randolph died shortly after the wreck around noon Tuesday.
Aiken police say Randolph got away from a store security officer at a Walmart and sped away on state Highway 19. Police say officers tried to pull her over, but she kept driving and hit a car head on.
A child was with Randolph, and authorities did not release the child's condition, or whether anyone else was seriously injured in the crash.
Troopers are investigating the wreck, and an autopsy has been scheduled for Thursday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer