Texas officer struck by deputy during pursuit
Officer Donny Rocha Jr. was struck by the deputy's truck while engaged in a foot pursuit
By Anum Valliani
ODESSA, Texas — They say it all started with street racing, something residents on 8th Street and Overton are used to.
But a high speed car chase ending there on Saturday night proved dangerous for one officer and it wasn't because of the racers. Officer Donny Rocha Jr. was struck by a deputy's truck. One witness described what he saw leading up to that moment.
"They had been chasing him from 42nd Street. They had been racing and I guess he was trying to get away. [The police] had put spikes right down the street and they popped his tire," he said. The man did not want to disclose the driver's name.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend