Del. pursuit ends when car slams into fire truck
Stolen car collided with a fire truck, injuring a firefighter and two others, Tuesday night
By PoliceOne Staff
WILMINGTON, Del. — A police pursuit ended when a stolen car collided with a fire truck, injuring a firefighter and two others, Tuesday night.
WDEL Radio reported that the pursuit began inside the city and struck the back end of a ladder truck moving through the intersection.
The firefighters turned their attention to smoke and flames that developed in the car’s engine compartment while a passenger inside the vehicle was rescued, according to the report.
"Firefighters grabbed extinguishers and put out and doused the flames that were in the car compartment," Fire Chief Anthony Goode said.
Officers used a TASER to subdue the driver, who tried to flee from the crashed vehicle, according to the report.
The driver and passenger were taken to a hospital for treatment. A firefighter riding in the rear of the ladder truck was treated for a shoulder injury.
The crash is currently under investigation.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper