N.Y. man dies after arrest on drug possession charges
The Associated Press
An autopsy was planned Thursday on the 39-year-old man, who was not yet identified, authorities said.
The man was arrested at 4:40 p.m. Wednesday by Queens narcotics officials, and was being taken to a police precinct for processing on drug possession charges when he began to intentionally hit his head against the van's interior, police said.
The man, who was handcuffed inside the van, was pronounced dead an hour later at Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help