N.Y. man dies after arrest on drug possession charges
The Associated Press
An autopsy was planned Thursday on the 39-year-old man, who was not yet identified, authorities said.
The man was arrested at 4:40 p.m. Wednesday by Queens narcotics officials, and was being taken to a police precinct for processing on drug possession charges when he began to intentionally hit his head against the van's interior, police said.
The man, who was handcuffed inside the van, was pronounced dead an hour later at Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman