Similarities in deputies' slayings are recalled
The similarities of the Conte case to the slaying last week of Broward Sheriff's Office transport Deputy Paul Rein brought back tragic memories.
BY DAN CHRISTENSEN
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. — The triggerman in the 1979 ambush slaying of Broward detention deputy Joseph Conte during a prisoner transfer is scheduled for release from a Florida prison next year.
The similarities of the Conte case to the slaying last week of Broward Sheriff's Office transport Deputy Paul Rein brought back tragic memories for many officers -- and may fuel their fight to keep Conte's killer behind bars.
Sheriff Al Lamberti brought up the case in a news conference Wednesday after Rein's death.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Similarities in deputies' slayings are recalled
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help