Obama praises FBI for being 'one step ahead'
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has gone to the FBI to praise the men and women there for remaining "one step ahead of all those who choose to step outside the law."
He said once again he believes al-Qaida is determined to "kill as many innocent people as possible." But Obama also said he has confidence that the FBI will continue to effectively protect, carrying out both its intelligence and law enforcement missions.
Obama told bureau agents and employees, "Because of you, the men and women of the FBI, the American people are safer and our country is stronger."
The president last week left open the possibility of prosecutions involving Bush administration officials who counseled leaders that harsh interrogation practices likened by critics to torture were a legal way to handle terrorism suspects.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help