Russian Man with Knife Arrested in Miami Airport
MIAMI (AP) - Police arrested a Russian man at Miami International Airport who they said had cigarette lighter that doubled as a switchblade in his carry-on bag.
Georgy Suliva, 38, was charged Wednesday with carrying a concealed weapon.
He arrived in Miami on a United Airlines flight from Rio de Janeiro and was trying to board a connecting flight to New York City.
Suliva told authorities he lives in Staten Island and the switchblade lighter was a souvenir.
Suliva passed through security in Brazil and proceeded through federal immigration and customs stands in Miami before X-rays and metal detectors at United's security checkpoint found the knife.
On Tuesday, authorities arrested an Iranian national carrying a loaded gun at the same airport. Iradj Eftekharipour, 37, arrived on a flight from Caribbean nation of St. Maarten and was transferring to a flight to Washington, D.C.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help