Russian Man with Knife Arrested in Miami Airport
MIAMI (AP) - Police arrested a Russian man at Miami International Airport who they said had cigarette lighter that doubled as a switchblade in his carry-on bag.
Georgy Suliva, 38, was charged Wednesday with carrying a concealed weapon.
He arrived in Miami on a United Airlines flight from Rio de Janeiro and was trying to board a connecting flight to New York City.
Suliva told authorities he lives in Staten Island and the switchblade lighter was a souvenir.
Suliva passed through security in Brazil and proceeded through federal immigration and customs stands in Miami before X-rays and metal detectors at United's security checkpoint found the knife.
On Tuesday, authorities arrested an Iranian national carrying a loaded gun at the same airport. Iradj Eftekharipour, 37, arrived on a flight from Caribbean nation of St. Maarten and was transferring to a flight to Washington, D.C.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house