Va. police searching for alleged gunman on college campus
Two alerts were sent to students via text and email saying, "Hunker Down. Gunman on campus"
WISE, Va. — A newspaper is reporting that the University of Virginia's College at Wise is on lockdown while campus and county police officers search for an alleged gunman.
The Bristol Herald Courier reports that campus police and officers with the Wise County Sheriff's Office are currently scattered throughout the campus. The newspaper is citing Kathy Still, UVA at Wise Director of News Relations.
The newspaper says two alerts were sent to students via text and email saying, "Hunker Down. Gunman on campus" and "Lockdown continues. Alleged gunman on campus. Stay put. Lock all doors until further notice."
A woman who answered the phone at the Wise County Sheriff's Office said she had no information she could immediately release.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court