Police: 3 dead after gunman opens fire at Md. mall
Police confirmed via Twitter that shots were fired at the mall; the gunman is believed to be dead
HOWARD COUNTY, Md. — Police in Maryland say three people died Saturday in a shooting at a mall in suburban Baltimore, including the presumed gunman.
Howard County police said via Twitter that a shooting had taken place at the Mall in Columbia, a suburb of both Baltimore and Washington.
Authorities received a call to 911 at around 11:15 a.m. to report that shots had been fired. Police responded to the scene and found three people dead, including one person who was found near gun and ammunition.
Police said they believed that one of people who was found dead was the shooter. There was no other information available about the two other people.
The scene was "believed to be secure" police said in a tweet issued at about 12:36 p.m.
The mall is at the center of the town, a suburb of both Baltimore and Washington.
The mall typically opens at 10 a.m. on Saturdays and it was not known how many shoppers or workers might have been present at the time of the shooting.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Active Shooter
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend