Wash. cop shot multiple times, suspects arrested
A motorcycle officer is in critical condition after being shot multiple times during a traffic stop
By PoliceOne Staff
VANCOUVER, Wash. — A motorcycle officer is in critical condition after being shot multiple times during a traffic stop Monday.
The Columbian reports the officer made the stop to investigate a stolen vehicle. At one point during the stop, an armed suspect opened fire, striking the officer multiple times. Witnesses reported hearing five or six gunshots during the incident.
Two suspects were in the vehicle at the time of the stop. The shooter fled in the car.
One suspect was arrested shortly after the shooting.
Police apprehended the second suspect after searching from house to house with K-9 units.
The officer, who has not been identified, was transported to a trauma center and is in critical condition, according to the report.
A second officer was involved in a collision while responding to the shooting and suffered minor injuries.
“This is one of the worst nightmares a chief can go through,” said Vancouver Police Chief James McElvain.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds