NY police seize phony police car
State police in Southeast got a call this week from a motorist who asked if they had changed the color of their cars from blue and gold to white.
Troopers went looking for the car, which also had been seen frequently by area residents, and pulled over the driver on Wednesday in Fishkill, just over the Putnam County border in Dutchess County, said Investigator George Mohl.
Mohl said the driver, who described himself as a former auxiliary officer and law enforcement buff, had a fake police badge and ID, a police scanner and citizens band radio. The car, which was seized, had flashing strobe lights on its roof and pulsating headlights.
Police were asking anyone who might have been stopped by the would-be officer to call 845-677-7300.
Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen