Video: Ky. cop hit, dragged during traffic stop
Suspect later found and charged with assault of a police officer
By PoliceOne Staff
FRANKFORT, Ky. - Gas station surveillance cameras captured a suspect hitting and dragging a Kentucky police officer during a traffic stop on Friday.
Officer Byron Redmon pulled over the truck of 49-year-old Russell Wheat for suspicion of drunken driving on Friday. As Redmon approached the truck, Wheat put the vehicle in reverse to attempt an escape, then drove forward - with Redmon hanging on until the truck crashed into a parked car and sped off.
According to WKYT 27, the suspect's vehicle was later located in a nearby neighborhood, and after a search of a wooded area, Wheat was found. He was arrested and charged with assault of a police officer.
Officer Redmon has been treated for his injuries and released, according to WKYT 27.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help