Video: Ky. cop hit, dragged during traffic stop
Suspect later found and charged with assault of a police officer
By PoliceOne Staff
FRANKFORT, Ky. - Gas station surveillance cameras captured a suspect hitting and dragging a Kentucky police officer during a traffic stop on Friday.
Officer Byron Redmon pulled over the truck of 49-year-old Russell Wheat for suspicion of drunken driving on Friday. As Redmon approached the truck, Wheat put the vehicle in reverse to attempt an escape, then drove forward - with Redmon hanging on until the truck crashed into a parked car and sped off.
According to WKYT 27, the suspect's vehicle was later located in a nearby neighborhood, and after a search of a wooded area, Wheat was found. He was arrested and charged with assault of a police officer.
Officer Redmon has been treated for his injuries and released, according to WKYT 27.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house