Police in NM city upset at 'point system'
Las Cruces Police Chief Richard Williams objected to characterizing the directives as a quota system
By Ashley Meeks
Las Cruces Sun-News
LAS CRUCES — A "point system" at the Las Cruces Police Department directs patrol officers to make a certain amount of arrests and write a certain amount of tickets every month, or face disciplinary action.
Internal memorandums obtained by the Sun-News detail a "patrol plan" instructing officers to "meet or exceed a 90-point rating every calendar month" through "a combination of predetermined point-valued activities." Written and weighted by Lts. Walter Jackson and Mark Nunley, the system in West Area Command has been in place since April 10, and in East Area Command since March 30.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Police in NM city upset at 'point system'
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house