Miami police fire cop pulled over by FHP
Video of the pursuit and arrest ignited an apparent feud between Miami police and the FHP
By PoliceOne Staff
MIAMI — A Miami officer pulled over by a state trooper for speeding on the Florida Turnpike has been fired.
Miami police terminated Officer Fausto Lopez on Thursday after an internal investigation ruled he engaged in a "practice and pattern" of driving at excessive speeds while off duty, CBS Miami reported.
When Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Donna Jane Watts pulled him over in October, he was allegedly doing 120 mph. Watts drew her gun and arrested Fausto, who was in uniform and on his way to his second job.
Video of the pursuit and arrest ignited an apparent feud between Miami police and the FHP, during which videos of officers speeding were posted to YouTube and a trooper's patrol car was found covered in human waste.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help