Miami police fire cop pulled over by FHP
Video of the pursuit and arrest ignited an apparent feud between Miami police and the FHP
By PoliceOne Staff
MIAMI — A Miami officer pulled over by a state trooper for speeding on the Florida Turnpike has been fired.
Miami police terminated Officer Fausto Lopez on Thursday after an internal investigation ruled he engaged in a "practice and pattern" of driving at excessive speeds while off duty, CBS Miami reported.
When Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Donna Jane Watts pulled him over in October, he was allegedly doing 120 mph. Watts drew her gun and arrested Fausto, who was in uniform and on his way to his second job.
Video of the pursuit and arrest ignited an apparent feud between Miami police and the FHP, during which videos of officers speeding were posted to YouTube and a trooper's patrol car was found covered in human waste.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert