Video: Semi truck swipes squad on highway shoulder
Police released the footage hoping it would raise awareness about the Move Over law
By PoliceOne Staff
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. — Police have released dash cam footage showing a semi truck brushing against a trooper’s cruiser and another vehicle on the highway to raise awareness about the “Move Over” law.
Lt. Jeff Lorentz, who has been with the Wisconsin State Patrol for 30 years, told WEAU.com that the footage didn’t shock him, because close calls like this weren’t uncommon.
The officer in the video, who wasn’t identified, is seen jumping back as the truck makes contact with one vehicle and then the other.
Wisconsin's Move Over law requires drivers to change lanes or slow down when emergency vehicles are on the side of the highway.
“We're much better at this, but we're not where we want to be," Lorentz said in regard to abiding by the law.
Lorentz has been hit while in his cruiser five times during his law enforcement career, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend