Your turn signal can keep you safe on stops
There is a trick I use to keep myself safe on the side of the highway. We have over 28 miles of I-75 and I-275 in my county, so I am on the Interstate a lot. When I tell guys of my little trick they look at me funny and wonder why they didn’t think of it.
What I do on my stop or if I am backing another officer is activate my left turn signal. This makes motorists think I’m trying to get back into traffic, thus making them merge into the opposite lane to give me a great cushion. I have guys tell me all the time how amazed they are at how effectively this works!
Related tip: Reflective clothing & cars
Related article: 7 tips for officer roadside safety
- Officer Safety
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house