LA officer dies of heart attack during traffic stop
An officer suffered a fatal heart attack while conducting a traffic stop August 12
Duty Death: Patrick Libertone - [Los Angeles, California]
End of Service: 08/12/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — An officer suffered a fatal heart attack while conducting a traffic stop August 12.
According to ODMP, Lieutenant Patrick Libertone had stopped the driver for recklessly cutting him off when the incident occurred.
After speaking with the driver, Libertone collapsed on the sidewalk as he walked back to his patrol car.
An off-duty paramedic who happened to be near the scene attempted to revive Libertone, but could not, according to the report.
Libertone was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead. He served with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department for 31 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman