Rookie cops failing: 23% can't pass class, gym tests, N.Y.
March 28, 2001
(New York, NY) - Nearly 23% of the Police Academy class is failing to make the grade in academics or gym forcing the Police Department to hold them out of crucial field training, the Daily News has learned. Of the 1,181 probationary cops in the class, 270 were held back March 9 from the month-long training now underway in city, housing and transit commands throughout the city.
"If they're even close to the point of not passing, I hold them back," said James O'Keefe, the NYPD's director of training. "I don't want to make a mistake and give them a gun and shield."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court