Woman arrested in Fla. for trying to carry loaded gun on plane
TAMPA, Florida- A woman was arrested after security screeners at Tampa International Airport found a loaded handgun tucked in her carryon bag, authorities said.
Mavis Cobb Thornton, 58, was taken into custody after a screener discovered the .38-caliber revolver, loaded with three bullets, in her bag as she passed through a security checkpoint Monday, police said.
Thornton is on medical leave from her job as an accounting clerk for the Hillsborough County school district, district officials said. She and her husband, Charles, had tickets for a Delta flight Monday, but airport officials did not know their destination.
Mavis Thornton did not give a statement to police, but her husband told authorities he did not know his wife had the gun. She does not have a concealed weapons permit, airport officials said.
She was arrested on charges of carrying a concealed weapon. She was booked into the county jail and released after posting bail.
A phone message left at her home was not immediately returned Wednesday.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house