Video: Man attempts to hijack train with screwdriver
Suspect entered the conductor’s cab of a subway car in the Bronx
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — A subway motorman and about a dozen passengers successfully fended off a suspect who was caught on video trying to hijack their train.
Richard Arrocho entered the motorman’s cab last Friday claiming someone was trying to kill him. Sources say he called for police assistance and then began threatening motorman Darryl George.
"He said he was going to stab me and he reached into his pocket and pulled out a screwdriver," George told NBC New York.
George managed to get out of the cab while passengers kept Arrocho inside the train, sources say. Once the subway came to a stop, Arrocho surrendered to police without incident and was charged with attempted assault, menacing, harassment, and criminal possession of a weapon.
Arrocho has a history of mental illness and a far-reaching criminal background – police say he has been arrested at least 40 times.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman