S.C. inmate disarms CO, shoots self
By Clif LeBlanc and Ishmael Tate
Using a suspect's weight to prevent disarming
COLUMBIA, S.C. — In a two-pronged response to an attempted suicide in a Columbia hospital emergency room, the state prison agency is reviewing its procedures and equipment while the hospital decided to open a separate waiting room for inmates.
On Wednesday, questions were raised about how easily a woman patient was able to pull a gun from a prison officer's holster and shoot herself in the head at Palmetto Health Richland Tuesday night. The woman remained in critical condition Wednesday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: S.C. inmate disarms CO, shoots self
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house