Police dummy keeps Calif. drivers honest
Officer Bob, the mannequin, improves safety because it causes drivers to pause or at least slow down at stop signs
By Will Jason Marin
San Jose Mercury News
BELVEDERE, Calif. — From a distance, Bob Smith appears lifelike behind the wheel of a Belvedere police cruiser, a cup of coffee resting on the dashboard. When he is near, passing drivers reach for the brake pedal with heightened alertness, knowing they are in the presence of the law.
A closer look reveals the sheen of his plastic skin when it is hit by sunlight. "Officer Bob" is a mannequin.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Police dummy keeps Calif. drivers honest
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy