NJ cop delivers baby inside McDonald's
Officer James Kniepp was flagged down as he drove past the fast food restaurant
By PoliceOne Staff
NEWARK, N.J. — A Newark police officer delivered a baby at a McDonald’s in New Jersey Wednesday.
James Kniepp, who has been with his department 24 years, was flagged down as he drove past the restaurant.
The person who got the officer’s attention told him a woman was in labor in the restaurant’s bathroom, so he proceeded help her deliver the baby, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reported.
The mother and her new infant — a boy, born two months premature — were taken to a local hospital, police said. Authorities say both are in good condition.
"I am not an EMT, I just pulled from what I remember learning from my academy days," Kneipp said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help