Video: Trooper hit by truck, stumbles to guard rail
Police released footage to show the dangers of failing to obey Maryland's move-over law
By PoliceOne Staff
BALTIMORE — Police released video Thursday to show the public the dangers of failing to obey the state's move-over law.
Dash cam video shows a tractor-trailer slam into a cruiser, then hit Maryland state trooper David Avila as he conducted a traffic stop on the shoulder of Interstate 70 in June.
"I guess I heard the rumble strip just before the vehicle came toward me. I took a quick glance over my shoulder and kind of saw it," Avila told WBAL.
After being hit, Avila stumbled to the guard rail and collapsed. He is recovering from serious injuries to his shoulder, back and legs and suffers from balance and vision problems.
The truck driver paid a fine for breaking the move-over law, which requires drivers to change lanes or slow down when they see an officer on th e side of the road.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms