NY cop dies from 2006 gunshot wound
She suffered a gunshot wound to the face that paralyzed her from the neck down
Duty Death: Patty Parete - [Buffalo, New York]
By PoliceOne Staff
BUFFALO — A Buffalo police officer has died of complications stemming from a gunshot she suffered in 2006 when she and her partner confronted an armed suspect while responding to a 911 call.
Patty Parete, 48, died Saturday from injuries that left her paralyzed from the neck down, according to ODMP.
Parete and her partner, Carl Andolina, were both shot in the face by the subject, who is serving a sentence of 30 years to life for the incident, according to WGRZ.
President Jim Panus of the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association said in a statement, “Patty had a long, arduous, and brave challenge from a spinal injury as a result of her injuries. We ask all members of the PBA, their family, and friends to keep Patty and her family in your prayers."
"My first reaction upon hearing the news of Officer Parete's passing was just total sadness," Mayor Byron Brown said. "My thoughts, prayers and wishes are with her and her family at this time".
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house