NC cop in coma after shot in chest during training
23-year-old Garrett Hardin wasn't wearing a vest when another officer accidentally shot him in the chest
By PoliceOne Staff
MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. — A Morehead City police officer is in a medically-induced coma after having been shot in the chest by another officer during a training accident.
Garrett Hardin, 23, was shot during a training exercise Wednesday morning, according to WBTW. He was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he was reportedly coherent but listed in critical condition.
He was not wearing a vest when he was shot, according to his family.
Investigators are staying very tight-lipped about the details of the incident.
"Our hearts are with you and our prayers are with you to both officers and their families,” said Jerry Jones, Morehead City mayor. “This is going to be a hard time for all of us. We are one big family we're going to get through it.”
Police Chief Wrenn Johnson said this is one of the hardest things her department has had to go through, but they're staying strong.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help