Ohio cop shot, suspect killed in shootout
A Troy police officer was shot in the leg and the suspected gunman was killed after an exchange of gunfire
By PoliceOne Staff
TROY, Ohio — A Troy police officer was shot in the leg and the suspected gunman was killed after an exchange of gunfire on a Troy street Sunday morning.
Sgt. Jeff Kunkleman was responding to reports of shots fired in the neighborhood when he and three more responding officers — two from Troy and one Miami County deputy — spotted the gunman took cover, as Franklin Jones III, 30, opened fire again, according to the Dayton Daily News.
Police returned fire, killing Jones.
Kunkleman was taken to Miami Valley Hospital and is recovering from the injury at home, according to the report.
The earlier gunshots that prompted neighbors to call 911 was from Jones shooting Sammy Butler, 24, who police found in a nearby alley with two gunshot wounds to the buttocks. He was taken to the hospital for his wounds. His condition is unknown.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy