Video: Man fatally shot after climbing into trooper's SUV
Suspect climbed into the trooper’s SUV and tried to remove an AR-15 rifle from a locked compartment
By Steven Slivka
Las Vegas Review-Journal
LAS VEGAS — D’Andre Berghardt Jr., 20, of Los Angeles was shot by Bureau of Land Management rangers after he climbed into a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper’s SUV and tried to remove an AR-15 rifle from a locked compartment. At least one ranger fired through the car’s windshield.
The two federal rangers and the state trooper were called to state Route 159 about noon Friday after cyclists near Calico Basin reported an altercation with a pedestrian, described as a black man in his 20s, according to Highway Patrol.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court