Feds investigate deputy in beating incident
Video shows sheriff's deputy kicking teen
SEATTLE, Wash. — The videotape of a King County sheriff’s deputy roughing up a 15-year-old girl in a holding cell has caught the attention of the Department of Justice, which “is definitely looking into the matter,” according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Kelly Harris, who heads the local office’s civil-rights division.
Harris said the U.S. Attorney’s Office had learned of the incident last month when the Sheriff’s Office announces criminal charges had been filed against the deputy. He said the office “just didn’t have enough to go on” at that point, but the release Friday of the video from a holding cell changed that.
“It is on our radar now,” Harris said. “That was the first time we’d seen in on Friday, and we’ve had a couple of days to talk about it. We are looking, yes.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform