Off duty Pa. officer stabs suspect who attacked him with handcuffs
By Moriah Balingit
PITTSBURGH — A routine arrest at the Downtown Burlington Coat Factory erupted into a bloody confrontation between an off-duty city police officer working as a security guard and a suspected shoplifter yesterday afternoon that ended when the officer stabbed the suspect with a knife pulled from his utility belt.
"It became a tense situation until the officer became involved in a fight for his life," said Sgt. James Vogel of Zone 2. "It's one of the most serious situations our officers can face."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests