NYPD cops suspended for allegedly beating suspect
A video surfaced showing the cops beating a handcuffed suspect
NEW YORK — Two New York Police Department patrolmen have been suspended after a video surfaced showing them beating a handcuffed suspect during an undercover drug operation.
The footage was shot by a witness looking out an apartment window in the Bronx on Jan. 5. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly says he decided to suspend the two as soon as he saw the video.
The video shows the two officers bending down to punch the suspect, Jonathan Baez, who was handcuffed and face down on the ground.
A lawyer for Baez says other officers seen milling about as the scene unfolded should be punished as well. The lawyer says drug charges against Baez have been dismissed.
Two supervising sergeants also are on desk duty, pending the outcome of the investigation.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house