Police accused of 2nd assault at Detroit casino
The latest lawsuit was filed Thursday by DaJuan Moncrief, 34
By PoliceOne Staff
DETROIT — Another lawsuit was filed Thursday claiming police assaulted a patron at a Detroit casino.
DaJuan Moncrief, 34, said two officers attacked, beat and choked him at the MGM Grand Detroit, where he was staying with his fiancée in January, the Detroit Free Press reported.
According to attorney Jonathan Marko, Officers William Brewster and John Appling approached Moncrief in the lobby and asked him to return to his room. The officers told Moncrief to go outside first, where they choked him with a baton and left him with broken ribs, the lawsuit alleged.
A Livonia man filed a separate lawsuit against Detroit police last week that said a surveillance video shows him being punched in the face after he was asked to leave a casino in July. Marko claimed Moncrief’s attack was also caught on video.
Police could not be reached for comment Thursday. Sources say Moncrief was jailed, but charges were later dropped.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help