NYPD investigates Bronx arrest caught on video
According to a criminal complaint, a teen and his family members assaulted officers
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — A video posted online showing the arrest of a Bronx teen is under investigation, sources said Tuesday.
Officers in the video use batons while arresting 19-year-old Jateik Reed Thursday on charges of robbery, possession, and assault on a police officer, according to NY1. After the arrest, an officer received stitches to close a facial injury, according to the criminal complaint, which also states family members later went to the local police precinct and attacked officers — which they deny.
"This so-called assault on an officer, which we all know never took place," Bernard Walker, Reed's father, said, stressing what the video shows — or doesn't.
"Even... if it had happened and if he hit this officer, no one ever saw that," Walker said.
The NYPD and the Bronx district attorney are investigating, and Reed's family has hired a civil attorney and plans to file lawsuits against the city, the NYPD, and the officers involved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms