NY man shot by trooper known for police brawls
The 51-year-old had fought with officers several times before
NEWBURGH, N.Y. — Current and former police officers say a man who was shot to death by a state trooper in Newburgh had a history of brawling with police.
Police say William Baynes died Thursday night after he got into a fight with a trooper after a traffic stop. State Police say the trooper fired in self-defense.
The Times Herald-Record reported that the 51-year-old had fought with officers several times before. One 1991 fracas left an officer with a cracked vertebrae.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: NY man shot by trooper known for police brawls
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds