Church shooting: The heroism of Jeanne Assam
On December 9, 2007 a 24-year-old gunman named Matthew Murray launched a brutal assault on the parishioners of the New Life Church in Colorado Springs (Colo.) that left two innocent victims dead. Because of the quick actions of a former police officer from Minnesota named Jeanne Assam, that number could easily have been much, much higher. Assam explains in a new video segment produced by the PoliceOne Video Team for the PoliceOne Academy that she very nearly decided to not go to church that day. However, on the morning of the shooting, she saw a headline on her computer indicating that two young people were murdered at a training center for Christian missionaries some 70 miles away in the Denver suburb of Arvada. The headline shook her.
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman