Cop directing traffic spots man driving his truck
The Associated Press
FRISCO, Texas — A police officer directing traffic outside of a concert in suburban Dallas noticed a familiar-looking truck driving by - his own. The startling sight led to the arrest of James Matthew Herring, 22, who is charged with theft and evading arrest, police said.
Officer Jerry Varner said he parked his maroon pickup about 100 yards from where he was directing traffic Saturday night. He said he didn't notice anyone breaking in but recognized his truck coming toward him.
Varner ordered the driver to pull over. Instead, the man put the truck in reverse and attempted to flee, striking several vehicles, police said.
Police cars eventually surrounded the truck. The driver tried to run but was soon caught, police said.
Herring's court-appointed attorney said he hadn't met with his client and declined to comment.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police