Iowa man attempting to elude police hits cruiser
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa — Authorities say a man trying to elude Council Bluffs police officers rammed a police cruiser then tried to flee on foot.
Police say an officer saw 29-year-old Carl Benedict speeding around 1:45 a.m. on Saturday and attempted to pull him over.
Police say Benedict initially appeared to stop before turning his car and driving toward the police cruiser. After the vehicles collided, police say Benedict attempted to flee on foot before an officer caught him.
Benedict was taken to a local hospital for treatment, then taken to Pottawattamie County Jail. He is charged with suspicion of driving while disqualified, eluding, no proof of insurance, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a wreck and interference with official acts.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic