12-year-old boy accused of driving car into cruiser
RIPLEY, W.Va. — Authorities arrested a 12-year-old boy who allegedly drove his mother's car and crashed into a police cruiser on Interstate 77. State Police Sgt. S.E. Wolfe said the boy's mother reported her car missing at 7:54 a.m. Wednesday from her home.
Wolfe says Jackson County sheriff's deputies and a Ripley police officer tried to intercept the car after it was spotted on I-77. The car struck the Ripley cruiser on the driver's side, doing minimal damage, before hitting a guard rail and cable barriers in the median.
A juvenile court petition filed in Jackson County charged the boy with fleeing, joyriding and destruction of property. The boy was released to the custody of his parents on Wednesday afternoon.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help