NY cop suspended after car with shotgun is stolen
The car was later found near LaGuardia Airport
New York Daily News
NEW YORK — A veteran highway cop was suspended Saturday after his NYPD patrol vehicle with a loaded shotgun inside was stolen by a loony Bronx crook, police said.
Nelson Robles, 42, ducked into Lydig Coffee Shop in Morris Park for breakfast at 7 a.m. when in a flash his marked Chevy Tahoe was gone, police sources said.
"This is the embarrassing part - he goes into a coffee shop and leaves the vehicle running," a police source said.
Anibal Lugo, a local resident with mental problems, hopped into the idle jeep and peeled off, police said. He drove over the Whitestone Bridge, all the way to LaGuardia Airport before leaving the vehicle running in a parking lot. An alert Port Authority cop spotted the marked patrol car, secured it and later arrested Lugo at a car rental counter in the US Airways terminal.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court