Driver on cell phone hits Ill. cruiser, officer injured
The officer is in intensive care and remains in critical condition
CHICAGO — The State Police issued an urgent plea Monday for motorists to stay off their cell phones after a distracted driver left one of the agency's own -- a 29-year-old mother of a grade-schooler -- in intensive care with two broken legs and a smashed pelvis.
"We're also asking the motoring public to please slow down, move over or change lanes when you're approaching emergency vehicles, because this could save our lives," said State Police Lt. Luis Gutierrez, standing outside Stroger Hospital, where the injured trooper remained in intensive care Monday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman