Sleeping homeless woman run over by cruiser dies
The woman was lying under blankets on the grass when the cop drove through the park
CINCINNATI, Ohio — Authorities are investigating the death of a woman who was struck by a police cruiser in a Cincinnati park.
State Highway Patrol Sgt. Matt Hamilton says a Cincinnati police officer was patrolling Washington Park on Tuesday when he hit 48-year-old Joann Burton, who was lying under blankets on the grass. She was taken to a hospital, where police say she was pronounced dead less than an hour after the officer called for help.
Dozens of people gathered in the park for a memorial service Tuesday night.
Read more on AJC.com.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman