Drunk driver plunges into Calif. river, kills baby
APPLE VALLEY, Calif. — The California Highway Patrol says a 1-year-old boy has drowned after his drunken father drove an off-road vehicle into a river in the San Bernardino County desert.
CHP spokesman Joaquin (WAH'-keen) Zubieta says the Suzuki Samurai plunged Monday night into 9 feet of water in the Mojave River in Apple Valley. The driver had been off-road driving and was inching the SUV into the water when it plunged and rolled over.
Zubieta says 23-year-old Hunter Kilmer and a 19-year-old passenger escaped but couldn't get Kilmer's 16-month-old son, Ford, out of a baby seat.
Kilmer was booked for investigation of manslaughter and driving under the influence and remained jailed Tuesday.
Apple Valley is about 75 miles northeast of Los Angeles.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house