Gang member arrested for firing on Oakland cops
The officers' car was hit, but they weren't injured and did not fire back
By Henry K. Lee
The San Francisco Chronicle
OAKLAND — An alleged gang member - released from federal prison weeks ago - and his getaway driver have been arrested for shooting at police officers in North Oakland, authorities said Sunday.
Benny Ray Martin, 31, fired shots at a car near 58th and Genoa streets and then unleashed more gunfire at two police officers responding to the area at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday, said Officer Holly Joshi, an Oakland police spokeswoman.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Gang member arrested for firing on Oakland cops
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman