1 corrections officer killed, 3 injured in hit-and-run
The group had just finished their shift when they were hit while jogging
Duty Death: Britney Muex - [Crown Point, Indiana]
By PoliceOne Staff
CROWN POINT, Ind. — A corrections officer was killed and three injured when an SUV struck them while they were jogging Tuesday.
The group had just finished their shift when they were hit near the Lake County Government Complex, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Lake County Sheriff John Buncich said police throughout the county were searching for the driver, who fled.
25-year-old Britney Muex of Crown Point suffered trauma injuries and died about three hours after the accident, the coroner's office said.
Accident reconstruction specialists were assisting Lake County detectives in the investigation, according to NBC Chicago. Police said lots of evidence, including a mirror and other debris from the vehicle, was found at the scene.
"It's terrible, just terrible," Buncich said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds